Join us online for a wide variety of programs and events! Every week, we offer free online programming, along with our Critter Cams, weekly television show, and more. Participants can also book a private virtual tour or program!
Week of July 13: World Snake Week
Thursday, July 16 is World Snake Day, a day dedicated to increasing awareness about the different species of snake all around the world. In honor of this holiday, we're declaring it World Snake Week, and have a week's worth of snake-themed programs planned.
- Wednesday, July 15 at 1:30 p.m Eastern: Join us on the live-stream channel for an introduction to the Center's education ambassador snakes, and a snake enrichment session!
- Thursday, July 16 at 11:00 a.m. Eastern: Time for a snake craft! Celebrate snakes and make your own craft at home in this guided live-stream event.
- Thursday, July 16 at 8:00 p.m. Eastern: Join us for our weekly watch party as we continue Season Two of Untamed with an all-new episode on The Case for Indoor Cats! Watch with us on VPM public television stations in Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, and Richmond, or on Facebook Live on Wildlife Center of Virginia, VPM, and Science Matters Facebook pages. Stay tuned after the show on the Center's Facebook page to watch "Untamed, Unfiltered", our post-episode discussion about each episode.
- Friday, July 17 at 2:00 p.m. Eastern: Drawing snakes! Join us on the live-stream channel as outreach educator Lauren chats with office administrator Kayla as Kayla draws a couple of snake ambassadors.
Watch Black Bear cubs, Bald Eagles, vultures, and more as you stay at home! The Center's Critter Cams include live feeds of education raptors and recovering patients at the Center, and the moderated discussion is an excellent way to interact with the staff. Feeling isolated? Stop on by and say hi!
Patient Stories and Updates
Work at the Center has been adapted to keep everyone safe during this health crisis, but the Center staff are still there and working, seven days a week. Read about some of the patients that are currently in our care! And be sure to check out our YouTube channel for a wide variety of educational and entertaining videos at the Center.
Private Virtual Programs
Looking for something a little more customized for your group? Schedule a private virtual program! Learn about the inner-workings of a wildlife hospital, meet one of the Center's non-releasable education ambassadors up-close, and enjoy a personalized question-and-answer time tailored toward your group. Learn more about our online opportunities here!
Archived Tours and Programs
Missed a LIVE tour or program? You can still watch! We have a variety of virtual tours of our education ambassadors as well as a few patient areas too! We've also highlighted a number of our education ambassadors in some of our virtual programs here. Check out our Facebook LIVE tab for the most recent programming.
Untamed Television Series
For parents and children staying at home and making the best of educational opportunities while practicing social distancing, we encourage you to watch Season 1 of Untamed! These 13 episodes take a look at a variety of wild animal species, and we also have a library of materials that support each episode, including patient stories and videos, additional learning resources, and worksheets and activities for students who are watching Untamed as a part of learning on biology, natural history, and the environment.
Season 2 runs May 21 – August 13 – join us online on Thursdays for our weekly watch party!
We've created several different activities for wildlife lovers and for those who are teaching younger ones about wildlife while staying home. Download and print a variety of activity sheets here.
- Backyard Bird Bingo
- Spring Bingo
- Pollinator Bingo
- Earth Day activities -- because Earth Day is Every Day!
Wildlife Care Academy Classes
Our on-demand classes through the Wildlife Care Academy allow you to learn at your own pace! Start with "Introduction to Wildlife Rehabilitation," and from there, build a learning path that suits your interests and goals. We have a number of courses available right now, and will be adding more this year.
All in-person programs and events are currently suspended because of the COVID 19 pandemic.