November 27, 2018

Many supporters heard of the severe ice storm that struck the Center on November 15. The weather started off with icy conditions that morning; by mid-afternoon, the Center lost power. The trees were weighed down heavily, and limbs and entire trees started falling. With very wet conditions, the root systems of other trees simply gave way.

December 13, 2018

Bald Eagle #18-3087 has been recovering well after surgery. On December 6, radiographs were taken to check on the healing progress of the eagle’s injured wing; the veterinary team found that the fracture was fairly well-aligned, with only mild displacement at the end of the fractured bone. The eagle started a course of physical therapy, as well as daily laser therapy. The bird has a limited range of motion in his injured wing, though by the end of each session, the veterinarians note an improvement in movement.

December 13, 2018

Bufflehead #18-3068 has been doing well in the Center’s aviary for the past two weeks; the duck continues to eat well and has gained 40 grams since admission. Wildlife rehabilitator Brie noted that the duck’s waterproofing has improved greatly, though the duck still needs additional waterproofing on top of her head.

If the bufflehead continues to do well and is fully waterproof in the next week, she should be able to be released just a few days before Christmas.

December 6, 2018

On the morning of November 26, staff at Peninsula Memorial Park in Newport News reported seeing a Bald Eagle on the ground, unable to fly.  Local permitted rehabilitators responded, and with the assistance of staff, located the bird in a wooded area of the memorial park.  The eagle was quickly caught.  A field exam revealed a broken left humerus with along with swelling in the left shoulder and mild dehydration.  The bird’s wing was wrapped and a small amount of oral fluids were provided prior to the eagle being transported the Wildlife Center for further care.

December 4, 2018

On December 3, Bald Eagle #18-2865 had a follow-up eye examination to check on the retinal tear that the veterinary team noted on admission. The eye appears stable, and, at this point, should not compromise the eagle’s eventual release. One additional eye examination is scheduled for later this month; the Center veterinarians typically like to observe raptor eye injuries for three months to ensure they aren’t deteriorating.