Watch Episode Nine: Bats
Inside the Episode
Episode Nine of Untamed focuses on bats -- a diverse group of flying mammals that humans often associate with folklore, legends, ghost stories, and scary tales. But we have more in common with bats than we think -- these tiny mammals are socially intelligent and can have a rich social structure and means of communication with each other. Bats are not only fascinating, but they are also quite beneficial to our environment and play an important role in the habitats we share with them. These animals are in need of our help now more than ever as they face population declines and serious problems, most of which originate from humans.
Join the Center staff plus local bat rehabilitator and expert Leslie Sturges, with The Save Lucy Campaign, and learn more about these amazing wild animals.
Read the stories of the animals featured inside this episode!
Learn more about the people in the episode.
Bats Aren't Scary! Check out these amazing videos from The Save Lucy Campaign, and share with your friends!
Human arms and bat wings may have more in common than you think! Check out this great resource on bat wing anatomy from Arizona State University.
Check out this Wildlife Book Club selection and learn more about The Secret Lives of Bats by Merlin Tuttle.
Want to learn more about the bats in your backyard? You can detect and record bats with a mobile-device plug-in -- the Echo Meter Touch.
As an Amazon Associate, we may earn from qualifying purchases.
- Learn more about Leslie and her work at The Save Lucy Campaign
- Learn more about having bats as neighbors on our wildlife conflict page!
- Looking for recommendations on bat houses? Check out Bat Conservation International's resources.
- Visit Grand Caverns, one on-location site featured in this episode.
- Learn more about bats and rabies from the Center for Disease Control.
- Read more about the devastating bat disease, White Nose Syndrome.
Looking for ideas on how to incorporate the stories and lessons of Untamed into the classroom? The Wildlife Center is happy to provide these original worksheets and activity pages for teachers and educators. Designed to highlight the major themes and ideas presented in each episode, these activities are best used in combination with a classroom viewing.
- Untamed Watch-along Worksheet: Bats (best-suited for grades 5 and up)
- Bat Book Activity (best-suited for grades 3 and up)
Are you using these materials and resources in your classroom? We are eager to hear from you! Please let us know, so we can share your classroom projects and experiences with other teachers. Contact us at email@example.com.
Looking for more bat information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org