Episode 407: Pollinators
Pollinators are a vital part of our world and are essential for creating and maintaining habitats that many animals – including us! – rely on for food and shelter. The diversity of pollinators in a particular area is a key indicator of the health of an overall ecosystem. Unfortunately, many pollinators are in trouble, with populations declining significantly around the world. This episode highlights the importance and function of pollinators, with an emphasis on what we can do in our homes and communities to ensure the survival of these important species.
In This Episode
A special thanks to all of our staff and guests in this episode of Untamed!
- Amber Buck, Wildlife Center of Virginia
- Jason Hallacher, Shenandoah Valley Beekeepers Association
- T’ai Roulston, State Arboretum of Virginia and University of Virginia Environmental Sciences Department
- Leslie Sturges, Bat Conservation & Rescue of Virginia
- Stacey Moulds, Virginia Department of Transportation Pollinator Habitat Program
- This episode ties together many themes discussed this season of Untamed – the importance of eliminating invasive species and going native, making changes to help the health of our watersheds, and choosing sustainable ways to manage the land around us.
- Pollinator habitats start with native plants that are specific to your area!
- Need recommendations? If you’re in Virginia, check out the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation’s Native Plant Finder. The National Wildlife Federation and National Audubon Society also have native plant databases, perfect for finding suggestions for your immediate area.
- Once your plants are in the ground, don't forget to play the Wildlife Center of Virginia's pollinator bingo -- each card is designed for specific regions throughout the United States, with only native plants listed.
- In the fall and winter, leave seed heads and leaves to help wildlife. Leaves and winter seed heads not only feed wildlife and provide habitat but also complete an important cycle for next year’s growth!
- Inspired to start beekeeping? Check out state and local beekeeping organizations here!
- Learn more about pollinating bats in one of the previous Wildlife Center book club selections, The Secret Lives of Bats by Merlin Tuttle.
- Driving through Virginia? Take a break at one of the VDOT pollinator gardens featured in this episode.
Take the learning experience for your classroom or student group one step further with our specialized activity packets. These interactive resources combine summative reading sheets with writing and critical thinking exercises related to the topics and themes covered in each Untamed episode. Each page is designed to be used individually or as a complete workbook, making this activity packet perfect for educators looking to customize the lessons that can be learned from Untamed.
Are you using these materials and resources in your classroom? We are eager to hear from you! Please let us know, so we can share your classroom projects and experiences with other teachers. Contact us at email@example.com.
Here's What You Can Do
Each episode of Untamed leaves viewers with steps all of us can take to help protect wildlife and the environment.
Looking for more information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org