Spending time outside and connecting with nature and wildlife can be a great joy for many people. That privilege of being outdoors comes with a great responsibility: learning and abiding by a proper set of “outdoor ethics.” This episode highlights a variety of ways that recreationists can minimize their effects on wildlife and the environment. A positive outdoor ethic means always remembering you are a guest in the homes of wild animals and always respecting their space.
Join us for Untamed Unfiltered to take a deeper look inside each episode with some of the Center's Untamed producers and special guests. In this episode, Amanda and Aaron sit down with development associate Marley Crawford and former outreach staff member Raina DeFonza.
- Learn more about Leave No Trace (LNT), including the Seven Principles of LNT and how to get more involved in your local chapter.
- Explore the National Park Service and find a park near you! Live in Virginia? Explore our own beautiful Shenandoah National Park.
- Are you an angler? Learn more about Trout Unlimited's mission of fishing, conservation, and community. In the area? Visit special guest Tommy Lawhorn's South River Fly Shop. And learn more about fishing in Virginia with the Department of Wildlife Resources.
- Read the American Birding Association's Code of Birding Ethics, and explore their website for other birding resources, including books and podcasts.
- Birding in Virginia? Check out the Virginia Society of Ornithology for more local resources and field trips.
- Want to reduce your footprint and minimize waste when shopping? Purchase a Wildlife Center tote bag in the online shop.
- Learn more about the message of the apple core. And don't just take our word for it -- check out this Popular Science article: Once you know what happens to food you leave outdoors, you’ll stop doing it.
- As discussed on Untamed Unfiltered, learn more about the problems with rock-stacking in these three articles:
Looking for ideas on how to incorporate the stories and lessons of Untamed into the classroom? Outdoor Ethics In (About) 2 Minutes highlights the major concepts and ideas explored in this Untamed episode and is a quick resource for teachers who want to kick off a discussion.
Take the learning experience for your classroom or student group one step further with our specialized activity packets. These interactive resources combine summative reading sheets with writing and critical thinking exercises related to the topics and themes covered in each Untamed episode. Each page is designed to be used individually or as a complete workbook, making this activity packet perfect for educators looking to customize the lessons that can be learned from Untamed.
Are you using these materials and resources in your classroom? We are eager to hear from you! Please let us know, so we can share your classroom projects and experiences with other teachers. Contact us at email@example.com.
Looking for more information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org