When an animal is rehabilitated and returned to the wild, what comes after? In many cases, we may never know, but there are a few ways post-release data can be gathered on former patients. This insight not only can prove that wildlife rehabilitation works, but post-release data can also contribute important information about overall wildlife populations. In this episode, join Center staff and wildlife researchers as they reflect on what some former wildlife patients have taught us.
Join us for a special Untamed Unfiltered, as we sit down with Virginia Public Media's Untamed producer Clay Bretz! We'll talk to Clay about what filming and producing Untamed has been like, and we'll see if we can get the scoop on any Season Three plans!
Join us for Untamed Unfiltered, as we sit down with some of the Center's Untamed producers and featured staff members, and take a deeper look inside each episode. In this episode, Amanda and Aaron sit down with Center wildlife rehabilitators Kelsey Pleasants and Shannon Mazurowski.
- National Wildlife Rehabilitators Association: What is Wildlife Rehabilitation?
- Report a Band: USGS Bird Banding Laboratory
- USGS Celebrates 100 Years of Bird Banding Lab
- What is Bird Banding?
- Black Bear Cubs of 2020
- Black Bear Rehabilitation FAQ
- Evaluating the success of an orphaned American black bear (Ursus americanus) rehabilitation program in Virginia
- Department of Wildlife Resources Black Bear Radio-collaring Project
- Eagle Tracking Page
Looking for ideas on how to incorporate the stories and lessons of Untamed into the classroom? After the Release: In (About) 2 Minutes is a quick look at the major concepts and ideas explored in this Untamed episode and is a quick resource for teachers who want to kick off a discussion.
Discussion questions and activities are provided for those educators who want to utilize Untamed in the classroom. One set of discussion questions is designed to be used in combination with the full Untamed episode; another set of discussion questions can be utilized with the In (About) 2 Minutes video.
- Untamed Episode 13: After the Release Discussion Questions
- Wildlife Tracking Bingo Classroom Activity
- Untamed wildlife coloring pages
Are you using these materials and resources in your classroom? We are eager to hear from you! Please let us know, so we can share your classroom projects and experiences with other teachers. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking for more information? Email us at email@example.com