This episode focuses on the reasons why keeping cats – domestic pets– indoors is better for wildlife, the cats themselves, and human health. Outdoor cats cause significant problems for wildlife and the environment; these cats also have shorter lifespans and are subjected to many more dangers than their indoor counterparts. Join Center staff, health experts, and a cat behaviorist to learn how we can fix this human-caused issue and keep wildlife, cats, and the environment safer.
Join us for Untamed Unfiltered, as we sit down with some of the Center's Untamed producers and featured staff members, and take a deeper look inside each episode. In this episode, Amanda and Aaron sit down with Dr. Karra Pierce, the Center's veterinary fellow -- and her beloved Charlotte Amelia!
- The Case for Indoor Cats
- Bringing Your Cats Indoors
- Cheryl Falkenburry, Center Hill School
- Have you successfully transitioned an outdoor cat to an indoor-only lifestyle? We’d love to hear from you! If you’d consider writing a short summary about your experience that we could feature in a blog post, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University of Georgia’s Kitty Cams
- 'Kitty Cam' Reveals The Secret Life Of Roaming Cats, NPR
- Virginia Department of Health: Animal Contact & Human Health
- Want to see more of Charlotte Amelia's #HappyIndoorCat life, featured in this episode?
Looking for ideas on how to incorporate the stories and lessons of Untamed into the classroom? The Case for Indoor Cats: In (About) 2 Minutes is a quick look at the major concepts and ideas explored in this Untamed episode and is a quick resource for teachers who want to kick off a discussion.
Discussion questions and activities are provided for those educators who want to utilize Untamed in the classroom. One set of discussion questions is designed to be used in combination with the full Untamed episode; another set of discussion questions can be utilized with the In (About) 2 Minutes video.
- Untamed Discussion Questions: The Case for Indoor Cats
- Unwanted Poster Classroom Activity
- Untamed wildlife coloring pages
Are you using these materials and resources in your classroom? We are eager to hear from you! Please let us know, so we can share your classroom projects and experiences with other teachers. Contact us at email@example.com.
Looking for more information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org