Black Bear cub #16-1133

Admission Date: 
June 12, 2016
Release Date: 
April 20, 2017
Location of Rescue: 
Shenandoah County, VA
Cause of Admission / Condition: 
Separated from mother
Patient Status: 
Patient Archive

On June 12, a female Black Bear cub was admitted to the Wildlife Center from Shenandoah County. The cub had been seen by a homeowner for several days; when it appeared that the cub was without a sow, the Virginia Department of Game & Inland Fisheries trapped the cub.

Dr. Dana, the Center’s veterinary intern, examined the cub upon admission. According to Dr. Dana, the bear was bright, alert, and “very feisty, swatting and biting to avoid restraint”. The cub was sedated for a full physical exam; the cub was dehydrated and covered in ticks, but had no significant injuries. Blood work was within normal limits with the exception of a slightly low total protein. The cub weighed 4.0 kg and had a body condition score of 2.5/5.

Dr. Dana treated the cub with subcutaneous fluids and an anti-parasitic medication and placed a yellow identification tag in the cub’s right ear. The cub was moved to the Large Mammal Isolation enclosure in a zinger crate for a gradual introduction to the three other Black Bear cubs. Dr. Kelli anticipates that the new cub will directly meet the other three cubs on Tuesday, June 14.

At the Wildlife Center, we treat to release. Your donation will help support the Center’s life-saving work with this young cub … and with thousands of wild animals in need.


April 21, 2017

Black Bears #16-1133 [Yellow Tag], #16-1713 [Double Pink Tag], and #16-2409 [Pink/Green Tags] were picked up by Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries [VDGIF] biologists on Thursday April 20 for release.

On the afternoon of Friday, April 21 the three bears (Black Bear cub #16-2564 [Double Yellow tags], Black Bear #17-0009 [Double Green Tags], and Black Bear #17-0127 [Pink/Yellow Tags]) were picked up by VDGIF biologists for release as well.

Rehabilitators Brie and Linda attended the release with the VDGIF biologists. Brie said that the bears were very vocal during the ride to the release site. Once released, the bears ran off quickly.

Share This Page