On November 7, a male Black Bear cub was admitted to the Center from Botetourt County. The cub reportedly wandered into a Kangaroo Mart store and was trapped in a storage room. Employees called Animal Control; an officer was able to capture the cub and then called the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. A biologist responded to the scene and transported the cub to the Wildlife Center.
Dr. Peach, the Center’s veterinary fellow, examined the cub when he arrived. The bear was anesthetized for a full physical exam; Dr. Peach found that the tiny cub was thin and dehydrated, with minor abrasions on his lower gums and cracked foot pads. He weighed 4.6 kg. No fractures were noted. Skin scrapings revealed both live and dead ursacoptes and sarcroptes mange mites. An anti-parasitic medication was given, along with fluids. Dr. Peach placed an orange identification tag in one year, and a yellow tag in the other ear.
The bear was placed in a zinger crate in the Center’s holding room for the night and moved to the Center's Bear Pens on November 9. The cub is contagious due to the mange mites; the bear will be anesthetized in two weeks for a follow-up skin scrape and second dose of medication.